What is Osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis (OA) is one of the leading causes of severe long-term pain and disability, with over 100 million individuals suffering from this debilitating disease world-wide.
In addition to the functional disability, reduced quality of life, and loss of income for the patient, OA is a major burden on health and social care systems.
*TKR (Total Knee Replacements)
- Katz N, Losina E. Burden of OA – Health Services and Economics. OARSI Primer 2010. http://primer.oarsi.org/content/oarsi-primer
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): Osteoarthritis. http://www.cdc.gov/arthritis/basics/osteoarthritis.htm
- Bitton R. Am J Managed Care 2009.
- Bhatia D. et al. J Pharm Bioallied Sci. 2013; 5(1): 30–38.
- Statistics by Country for Osteoarthritis. http://www.cureresearch.com/o/osteoarthritis/stats-country
- Frost and Sullivan. European Osteoarthritis Markets, June 2007.
- Hospital Episode Statistics. Main Procedures and Interventions: 4 Character Inpatient Data 2009–10. 2010. http://www.hesonline.nhs.uk/Ease/servlet/ContentServer?siteID=1937&categoryID=215.
- Arthritis Research UK. http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/Arthritis-information/Conditions/Osteoarthritis/Whatis-Osteoarthritis
- Yoshimura N. et al. J Bone Miner Metab 2009.
- Zhang Y. et al. Arthritis Rheum 2001.
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare 2007. A picture of osteoarthritis in Australia. Arthritis series no. 5. Cat. No. PHE 93, Canberra: AIHW.